This month is the 66th anniversary of the bikini, as designed by French Engineer Louis Réard on July 5th 1946. To celebrate I’m putting together my list of top 10 iconic bikinis – let me know if you think I’ve left any out!
1. Louis Réard’s original string bikini modelled by exotic dancer Micheline Bernardini which caused a sensation and was made from just 30 square inches of fabric.
2. Ursula Andress’s white bikini from James Bond film Dr. No. We’ve all see this bikini so many times that I figure a photo of her doing a handstand in it is much more interesting than the usual photos we’ve all seen over and over again! (plus we get a photo of Sean Connery too and that can never be a bad thing…)
3. Carrie Fisher wearing Princess Leia‘s slave bikini in Star Wars
4. Raquel Welch in her leather bikini from One Million Years B.C. (this is the Madame Tassauds version but you get the idea)
5. Salma Hayek in From Dusk Till Dawn
6. Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot - but I don’t have a photo of that one, so here’s Marilyn in an equally lovely bikini!
7. Bo Derek in 10 (I know, the swimsuit is more iconic than the bikini but still…)
8. Bettie Page
8.5 (I forgot this one originally!) Rudi Gernreich’s Topless Swimsuit. You can see more photos of this here
9. Halle Berry in Die Another Day – a homage to Ursula Andress’s original James Bond swimsuit
10. For number 10 I couldn’t decide whether to go for Elizabeth Hurley in Bedazzled or Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider – which do you think?
What do you think? Did you agree with my top 10? and who should get that final slot, Angelina or Elizabeth…? It wasn’t an easy decision, should I have included Katy Perry’s whipped-cream spurting bikini from California Girls, Sarah Palin’s stars and stripes hoax bikini or even stretched the rules and included Farrah Fawcett’s red swimsuit..?
Photo sources: Source and copyright: Some rights reserved by Recuerdos de Pandora, Source and copyright: Some rights reserved by Pineapples101, Source and copyright: Some rights reserved by Camps, Source and copyright: , Some rights reserved by Loren Javier, Source, Source and copyright:Some rights reserved by Antonio Marín Segovia