Clara Bow was the quintessential ‘it’ girl and a flapper icon. She was one of the few silent movie stars who made it successfully into ‘talkies’ with her thick Brooklyn accent in tact. Bow was notorious for her loose living and scandalous lifestyle, so you’ve probably heard the rumours and gossip but here are 10 facts you might not know:
- Cartoon character Betty Boop was modelled on Clara Bow and Helen Kane.
- Clara retired aged only 28 when she had a mental breakdown due to stress and the pressure of having to deal with so many scandals in 1933.
- Bow died at the age of 60 whilst watching a Gary Cooper Western, Gary Cooper had been one of her notorious ‘engagements’ back in the early 20s.
- Fans didn’t realise Clara Bow was a redhead to begin with (oh the joys of black and white movies!), when they did sales in Henna hair dye tripled!
- Like Marilyn Monroe, Clara Bow’s childhood was marred by her mother’s mental illness. Bow’s mother was committed to a sanatorium after she held a butchers knife to her daughter’s throat. Read more
A 1920s movie poster for the Clara Bow movie The Wild Party which was released in 1929. It was Clara Bow’s first talkie (i.e non-silent movie) but the movie was also released as a silent movie for theatres which didn’t have sound equipment.
1920s silent movie star Clara Bow photographed around 1924 with a very scruffy hairstyle! The dress she’s wearing is wonderful though, it looks like it’s made from velvet and has some amazing embroidery,
A really striking photo of 1920s movie star and flapper icon Clara Bow. This is a promotional photo from 1927.
Source and copyright
Happy Valentines Day everyone. Whether you adore Valentines day or think it’s just a holiday exploited by the gift industry, lets use today to spread a bit of love and kindness to everyone else!
It’s also a great excuse to share these fabulous vintage Valentine pin ups. They range from the 1920s to the 1950s and include Marilyn Monroe, Cyd Charisse and Clara Bow as well as lots of others. Which one would YOU pick as your Valentine pin up?
1920s screen siren Clara Bow in a sexy backless gown and mask. Does anyone know which movie this is from?
Source and copyright: Some rights reserved by ADiamondFellFromTheSky
Clara Bow (with quite dirty nails unless that was a fashionable manicure at the time?) She was incredibly beautiful, and I love her super-long earrings!
Source and copyright: Some rights reserved by carbonated
Clara Bow looking coy with some toys – I love the fact that this photo has been coloured, it really brings it to life!
Source and copyright: Some rights reserved by manitou2121