What is a cupcake dress?
A cupcake dress is a very glamorous 1950s gown which had a tiny waist and a large voluminous skirt resembling a ballerina’s tutu. The skirt was usually made from tulle and often decorated with beading and trim. Think of a big frothy wedding dress or those Barbie cakes you get at children’s parties where you stick half a Barbie doll into a fantastically decorated cake… Now they’re usually worn as prom dresses or wedding dresses.
Vintage cupcake dresses
- Yellow 1950s tulle dress from Union Made Bride
- 1950s blue & white tulle dress from The Vintage Mistress
- Vintage 1950s blue & white strapless dress from La Belle Vintage
- Pink strapless vintage cupcake dress from Vintage Vortex
- 1950s tiered tulle dress by Wear It Well Vintage
- Vintage red party dress with silver sparkle by Vias Vintage
- Vintage strapless white cupcake dress from Vintage Vortex
Modern cupcake dresses
I have to be honest and say that I had trouble finding some modern cupcake dresses which I really liked (unlike the vintage variety which I think are gorgeous). Some of them were so prom dressy and saccharine sweet that they made me sick up into my mouth a little. Sorry, just felt I had to share that. Here’s my pick of the bunch: What do you think?
- 1950s style tulle dress by Sophia Tolli
- Strapless lace and tulle dress by Dolce and Gabanna
- Vizcaya dress by Mori Lee
- Paparazzi Prom by Mori Lee
- Pink tulle prom dress by Tiffany Presentations