I say ‘10 things you didn’t know about Marilyn Monroe‘ but obviously I have no idea how much of a Marilyn expert you are, so I guess these are really 10 things I didn’t know about Marilyn Monroe! Let me know if they’re all news to you too – I was amazed by some of these facts!
- The young Norma Jeane nearly chose the screen name of Jean Adair before she eventually decided to change her name to Marilyn Monroe in March 1956.
- For the movie ‘Gentlemen Prefer Blondes’ Jane Russell was paid about ten times more than Marilyn Monroe was.
- As a child Marilyn Monroe lived with 11 sets of foster parents as well as an orphanage after her mother was sent to a mental institution.
- In 2011 Authentic Brand Groups bought the licensing rights to Marilyn Monroe’s estate for $30 million. They now make around $5 million a year from products licensed to her name (like the new line of shoes coming out soon).
- Mariah Carey bought Marilyn Monroe’s baby grand piano at auction for $662.
- Marilyn Monroe was buried in an apple green Pucci sheath dress made of nylon jersey
- When she was 16 Marilyn married James Dougherty, their marriage only lasted a few years. Dougherty was forbidden by his second wife from going and seeing any of Marilyn’s movies.
- Despite the colour bar being in force, Marilyn Monroe got Ella Fitzgerald her first major engagement at a LA nightclub by promising the management that she would sit in the front row of Fitzgerald’s show for a week.
- Marilyn’s career as a model began when she was discovered working on the assembly line at a munitions factory. I think it might have been these photos which began her career, the timing is certainly right..
- Marilyn Monroe had plastic surgery: rhinoplasty and a chin implant in 1950. The surgery was paid for by her agent.
The photo below is from the movie Dangerous Years in 1947 before the plastic surgery.